Sunday, April 25, 2010

Anzac Day

Went to the horse races on Saturday and won twice!! It was beautiful weather and good times sipping champagne and making random bets in the sun. Yesterday was Anzac Day - a day of remembrance for fallen Aussie and Kiwi soldiers. It is the one day of the year that it is legal to play 'two-up' in pubs in Australia. It's basically heads or tails...one person stands in the middle of the ring or bar and flips the coins and the rest of the crowd is betting, $5, $10 up to $100 on whether the coins will land heads or tails...simple and lots of fun! Lots of yelling and beer drinking. We waited in line quite a while to get into a popular pub for the game but it was well worth as we immediately made our right down front and I got to be 'the spinner' flipping to the coin til I crapped out by tossing a tails. Afterwards we partied the night away dancing to live music and eating at the 'best pizza place in Sydney' according to my crew.

Today I realized that I am domesticating myself..haha. I am hosting my first proper aussie bbq. All the cheese, crackers, chips, pita are set out AND I chopped tomatoes, peppers, avocado and made a lovely salad. First time for everything :) I ALSO marinated chicken over night in bbq sauce - which is now chilling in the fridge waited to be thrown on the barbie with the various types of sausage. BBQ is scheduled for 1-5 and it is now 1:30 and no word from the Aussies. I'm assuming mostly 3pm arrivals. :) Wondering if I should hit the beach for a bit..beautiful day.

Best news yet is that I now have wireless internet hooked up in my apt...only took 1 month. It goes on the blink a bit but happy to have something.

Get on skype so I can catch up with you all...

No comments: