Monday, November 26, 2007

Baños

I´ve been in Baños for a week now - seems like longer. I managed to find an apartment..actually more like a hotel room. And I think I found a volunteer position teaching english and helping out with the online advertising for the language school but haven´t gotten information on exactly when they want me to work yet...not really surprising :) I´m actually hoping to move into an adjacent studio apartment this week - they are finishing up the kitchen so not exactly sure when. It´s quite possible that I head back later tonight and all my things have been moved and I have no key to the door. That happened with the front door of my building...they put a lock on the door (previously unlocked because there is a front gate) and I came back and couldn´t get into the building. I basically had to walk around the city looking for my landlord to get a key. Always works out in the end!
Overall I´m psyched to be here...went canyoning last week and have been enjoying beautiful weather in the mountains. I will hopefully be heading on a short trip to see Quilotoa, a famous lake formed in a crater near the volcano Cotopaxi at the end of the week. Until then I´m setting up camp here in Baños, off today to get towels and things for my apartment. Last thing on the list is an actual job..hmmm. Meantime here are some pics...

Walked in a rally in Baños to oppose the building of 4 dams for hydroelectricity elsewhere in Ecuador. No water in the rivers means no more tourism in Baños


Canyoning down a waterfall in Baños


My first try was a bit smaller


Out to dinner with the fam in Puerto Lopez


This is the actual Sr. Iguana that shared my room in Puerto Rico..he came back to say Adios!


Baños from above during a moto ride up in the mountains

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Niki! The canyoning looks awesome. SO, you take your advertising skills from one country to the next...who knew the true meaning of "transferrable skills" :)
I miss you and still wish I was visiting. If you can get an address in Banos please let me know!
love you, leah