Friday, November 2, 2007

I survived the jungle :)

We finally made it to the jungle and we saw incredible wildlife, bathed and swam in the Amazon River which the guide told us has taken over from the Mile as the longest river the in the world - little bit of trivia for everyone. After a 3 hour van ride along the bumpiest rockiest roads and a 2 hour canoe ride, we arrived at a lovely lodge/campsite. The showers and sinks use water from the Amazon so we mostly bathed near the dock in the river with biodegradable soap and shampoo. The water was extremely refreshing because it was so hot and muggy the whole time. We saw unbelievable sunrises and sunsets from a lake near our lodge. We saw pink bellied dolphins, monkeys, birds and parrots galore. We caught barracuda and put them back of course. We hunted for and found boas and caymans...but alas no anacondas. We also saw a village of locals who must live a very quiet life among the wildlife..with no phones, no cars and not many people. The river actally is like their road because they zoom around in canoes with motors. I also had a great group of people with me, 3 french girls, 2 dutch men, an awesome american and new zealand couple and a norwegian brother and sister. Below are pics!






2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi NIKI!!

Just wanted to tell you that I was checking in on you and saying hi! Your adventures look amazing!!! When are you coming home??
Can't wait to catch up. ENJOY!!
My email is: laureng@glam.com
xo
Lauren Gamzon

Anonymous said...

Hi Niki. This is Dan. I've enjoyed reading your blog twice every day. At night, Leigh reads them to me again as I go to sleep. I feel very close to you even though you're so far away. I know you feel the same way about me!!