Saturday, March 6, 2010

First few days in Sydney

It's been a busy few days thus far. I spent the afternoon in the office on Friday meeting people and getting my paperwork ready for possible apartment applications. It really felt like old ave a style - the office is very similar, with a totally open layout and only 2 floors of people. At beer o clock - around 4:30 I was asked to stand up and answer 10 questions as quickly as I could...the first one being 'name something you never told your parents'...actually almost stumped me! It was great to meet people and get a feel for the office here - very multi-cultural with representation from england, france, germany, canada, usa and of course a few token australians :) I'm sure there are others I haven't met yet. After a few post-work drinks I was ready for bed with a full day of apartment hunting planned for Saturday...

Up bright and early today (Saturday) - it has been quite the productive day. I caught Leigh and Alix on skype which was awesome...love the new couch Leigh! Got to see some night train action on letterman via skype - gotta love technology. I also saw several apartments and had help from my awesome American buddy (also from Jersey AND her sister goes to VaTech!) getting around Bondi beach for appointments. It was hot and a bit harried but I did find one apartment I like and have definitely been able to determine my criteria based on others I have seen. I've decided I'd like to live near the beach (walkable) and want a balcony and light coming into the apartment...even may give up the one bedroom and do a studio if need be to get my balcony. It is just so amazing here in terms of beach views and weather - I need a balcony to fully enjoy it :)...we'll see what I can find.

We spent the afternoon on the beach - I am by far the whitest person in Sydney so I will be working to change that over the next few weeks. It is really stunning...we climbed 'the rocks' and hung out with the fisherman and some adorable puppies playing in the wake. Then we went on a run around a few suburbs and I actually recognized some streets from the apartment hunting and was able to find my way back...major accomplishment. Now for dinner on the balcony with wine...yum!

Oh and I have also been mistaken for Australian twice already...once I was actually able to give directions but the second time not so much.

May be a rainy Sunday...hopefully I'll catch more of you on skype in the morning :)

No comments: