Sunday, March 21, 2010

Making Progress...

I am moving into my own apartment tomorrow!! As irony would have it, after 2 weeks of trolling the streets of Sydney begging for apartments, the realtor from the first apartment I saw (and also my favorite) called and said my application had been approved. After a second look to confirm, I went ahead and put my deposit down. It is a modern, wood floor, one bedroom with a lovely balcony and washer/dryer. Good light and space. I bought most of the living room furniture and the grill from the guy who is moving out so now I just need a bed. Really excited about the grill though...called a bbq here.

I also had a great weekend of beach and sun and meeting new international friends which involved a lengthy political discussion with some new dutch friends about obama and healthcare...luckily we agreed on most points :) I am totally wiped out from sun and sea and lawn bowling (it is actually quite tiring when you over-exert yourself running and walking beforehand!). I'm looking forward to a relaxing Sunday night and a busy Monday of work, lease signing and moving.

I'll leave you with some funny dutch anecdotes of mis-communications in english. one guy was leading a training at work and at the end of the day he said, 'ok day's over...drop your pants'. of course he had meant to say 'drop your pens'. this story of course led us to repeating drop your pants all night and discussing possible merchandising and URL buying to coin the term. :) another good one...one dutch girl who waits tables in bondi referred to potato wedges as 'wedgies' for several weeks and couldn't figure out why everyone giggled. 'anyone want some wedgies?' ha - no thanks :)

Oh can't forget that my visa came through on friday just in time for the 23rd of the month payment cycle...very happy about that.

sounds like the weather is shaping up back home...love springtime in nyc!

No comments: