Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Made it to Oz!!

I arrived at the airport in Newark to be told by the nice porter that my large duffel (one of 5 bags I was checking) was over 90 lbs and there was no way they would fly anything over 70 lbs...joy. So he took me over to the weigh station and I rummaged through and took out clothing after clothing and put it into another bag until I got it down to just over 70 lbs. Luckily nothing too embarrassing fell out. Then I stood at the Continental counter for an hour while they decided how much the would charge ONE person to check 5 bags, one of which was still 20 lbs over weight (50 lbs is the actual limit). $350 later they 'gave me a break' and I was off. Good thing I can expense that. :)

I made it through one bag of sour patch kids and 4 magazines in my effort to stay awake on my flight from Newark to LA (thanks girls!). I slept like a baby after 2 lovely tylenol pms from LA to Sydney, waking up for meals of course. On my way off the flight I heard a flight attendant refer to Adam Lambert being on the flight and I noticed him with a small entourage once I got off the flight. His entourage had been in coach with me. Then I ended up standing next to him in the line at immigration...he was hiding in a knit cap and huge black sunglasses and either no one noticed or cared. I considered snapping a pic with my iphone but decided against it.

Immigration was totally smooth - no issues with the visitor Visa. My bags came pretty quickly and luckily the dog came sniffing around before my large duffle where some paraphernalia may or not be hiding came around. :) I wanted to take a picture of my one cart loaded with all my luggage but I couldn't manage it. I was wheeling one bag with one arm and pushing the cart with 7 bags with the other and it was quite a process. The guy at customs took one pitying look at me and didn't even make me unload for the xray machine! He just told to me to go the exit! Love Australia already. Then a nice Canadian guy helped me push out to the taxi line.

So now I'm sitting in the lobby of my hotel while they clean my room. It's hot here! Had to change in the bathroom into summer stuff and cannot wait to get into a shower after 24 hours of traveling. Hoping to stay up for the day but the jetlag is starting to hit already...hopefully this post makes some sense.

No comments: