Friday, March 12, 2010

One week down under

It's been one week in Sydney and I can't decide if it feels like 3 days or 3 months...a whirlwind of personal and work life. Right now I'm sitting on my bed in a spare bedroom of a colleague I just met. She rescued me from a possible homeless fate and I am most grateful! Work is full-on...a new aussie (pronounced auzzie my american coworker tells me repeatedly :) term that feels very appropriate right now. My office is kind of like the UN, with people from countries all over the world and a few Aussies mixed in. Sydney in general is very very multicultural which is great.

The benefit of my extensive apartment search is that I have walked a lot all over the city and so now know my way around to a decent degree. The city itself is pretty small and so it's easy to walk from neighborhood to neighborhood, potts point to paddington to surray hills and then a quick hop and skip on the bus to bondi.

I also made 3 friends this week. I met a British girl for a lovely night out in potts point for dinner and drinks (thanks vaness!). I met an American guy who has connections to softball and other sports leagues (thanks doug!). and tonight I had dinner with a friend of my sister's and her friend. Of course with the world being as small as it is her friend who joined us for dinner has only been here 1 month and already knows 3 of my co-workers, including the girl I am currently staying with. Nuts. She also has a birthday coming up so I may do a joint Sunday afternoon lawn bowling birthday party with her overlooking bondi beach in a couple of weeks.

So I definitely feeling like I'm settling in to the city even though I haven't found my own place yet...fingers crossed for tomorrow. I really love Sydney so far...it seems to be the best possible combination of LA and NYC. Great weather like LA with tons of outdoor cafes and bars and balconies and terraces...pretty tree canopy streets. But it is a small walking city like NYC, but smaller and surrounded by water that you can actually swim in. Just an awesome place.

Just skyped with Deb and the Hughes fam which was great...going to crash for the night since I have an early and full day of apt hunting tomorrow. Goodnight!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hi! i just read your last post. am glad you're doing well and hope the apartment search goes ok today. also happy you met claire and you are hanging this weekend. funny i have only hung with her one night and i really liked her so much. also i got your voicemail the other day was so nice to hear your voice. i will try and call you on skype soon, i don't have long distance on my cell. things here are good, was showing simon your blog just now. talk to you soon i hope.

Anonymous said...

Niki,
You sound great! Wishing you all the best. Keep in touch. We miss you here!@
Love,
The Bruhns